Monday, March 7, 2011

book review

Since Josh has had his nose in the books these past four years I thought I would give you faithful readers a little book review of my own. We aren't into very heavy reading these days but books are very important to my two little thinkers.

Hallel's love for books mean that we often read the same stories over and over. And it is apparent why Curious George, anything Dr. Seuss, and so many others remain classics. There is a whimsical harmony of concise yet descriptive words married with delightful pictures that capture the imagination. So without further ado, I come back to this book over and over again: The Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown.
It is a simple story that describes the animals on a farm, but my favorite part is that the day starts out with the sun coming up and then takes the reader through the sequence of daylight, dusk, and then night. I can't help but lowering my voice as the pages turn darker to the night. I think it has a soothing effect every time I read it.

A few other favorites are The ABC Bible Verse Book by Deedra Scherm.
It is a great way to learn the ABC's and simple verses that start with the letter. What I love is that the pictures are great and as we read Hallel tells me what the pictures mean and in turn learns the meaning of that verse. Most verses are hard to explain to a 2 year old and this book is a wonderful tool.

Another Bible story book that Hallel is enjoying is The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones. We read one each day before nap time and she is so excited that she runs into her room for nap. Going to sleep is another story but i'm excited that she loves to read the "Bible" at this age. The pictures are sometimes funny to me but she absolutely loves them. The writer conveys the message of Christ through the eyes of a child. I think that the book appeals to different age levels too. Even though Hallel doesn't understand a lot she still gets "it" at some level and loves the stories.

Simeon is just starting to babel as he "reads" and actually look at the pictures rather than just be fascinated with turning pages. That's my boy!

There are so many amazing kids books out and I love that most kids love to be read to so let me know what is one of your favs and we'll try to find it.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Stacy, I love this blog topic! I am so glad your little ones are learning to love books. You're such a good mom>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review, Stacy. We ordered Big Red Barn because of your blogpost. And we also have the Jesus Storybook Bible and love it! A couple of our favorites at the moment are Hairy Maclary From Donaldson't Dairy by Lynley Dodd and The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr (a very British book).

    We can't wait to read Big Red Barn! We really appreciate the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. And perhaps next month we'll get The ABC Bible Verse Book, which also looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julia, How fun! I hope that you like it. I love the titles of your two favs. We will be checking them out too.
    It sounds like Naomi likes being read to. I love this stage of life:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stacy! I was so honored to read that you liked The ABC Bible Verse Book!!!! Thanks for posting about it and blessings!!

    Sincerely,
    Deedra Scherm

    ReplyDelete